To: Attendees of World Cosplay Summit
The rules of cosplay during the event
If there is any different between Japanese version and other translated version of this rules, Japanese version is final.
The World Cosplay Summit is an event being held in public places. There will be many people who don't know about cosplay. Please do not behave in an inappropriate manner that would dishonor the characters' image. Please join us after reading the following cautions and instructions.
- Entering houses and private properties.
- Entering flower gardens or fields that are not permitted to enter.
- Use of fake blood or bruises that would represent any violence.
- Excessive exposure of skin.
- The use of real uniforms or army uniforms (both current and past). (Excluding fake ones which are used in manga and/or anime)
- Use of tripod and reflector board in public places including on the street.
Costume, Props and Dressing
- Any long props or weapon props should be covered and protected at all times, except when taking photographs. The event locations are expected to be packed and crowded, so please be aware of your costume and props so that you won't hit any pedestrians.
- If you wear a short skirt or kimono costume, please wear tights, stockings or leggings so not to expose skin excessively.
- You must hand your electric devices such as mobile phone, digital camera or music players when using bathroom or dressing room to the staff. Please be aware that the staff may inspect your belongings.
- Word Cosplay Summit Office indicates which dressing rooms you can use to change into your costume. You must use the dressing room of your own gender. It's strictly prohibited to use the dressing room of the opposite gender. However, in case of an emergency, the staff of the opposite sex may enter the dressing room.
- If you are not able to obtain a dressing room ticket, you can secure your own place and change your costume; however, it is prohibited to use public places or change inside of public bathrooms.
- It is prohibited to bring any dangerous props such as knives, swords or firearms. It is also prohibited to display fake swords or knives all of the time except when taking photographs, make unnecessary swings or pointing them toward other people.
- Please be extra cautious towards others when carrying luggage.
- You must make your own judgement whether your costume has excessive exposure of skin, props are too sharp or long, difficult to walk or wearing something very warm, which may cause dehydration, etc. However, the staff may ask you to leave or stop cosplay, if poor judgement is used.
- The World Cosplay Summit office or venues are not responsible for any damages or accident caused by cosplaying or the circumstances of event venues.
- Do not occupy bathrooms by changing costumes or make-up, or leave it dirty to disturb other people.
- Do not use any make-up, paint or other material that may contaminate the venues or people.
- Follow other rules of dressing rooms and make-up determined at each of the venues.
- World Cosplay Summit is being held in a wide area, therefore we do not indicate where you can cosplay. The dressing rooms may be far away from the event venue. Therefore, you can use public transportation such as subway in cosplay costume. However, please do not expose your skin excessively and cover any fake weapons or long props.
- When male people cosplay as female characters, do not dishonor the reputation of the original characters. Make sure to shave legs, arm, armpit and facial hair. Make sure to wear proper wigs; not leave as buzz-cut or crew-cut. Please refrain from exposing bare feet and wear tights, stocking or leggings.
Photo sessions / Interaction
- Do not occupy one location for a long time. Staff or security may ask you to leave.
- Do not pose or take low-angle photography that may expose underwear. The event is held in public places. Please behave in an adequate manner.
- Do not use any large equipment which may interrupt traffic.
- It's strictly prohibited to take photographs of both the entrance and inside of dressing rooms and bathrooms, regardless of the character's nature.
- Do not bring extremely long lenses.
- When taking pictures and communicating with others, make sure to follow general morals and ethics and not to disturb others.
Examples of prohibited acts during photo sessions:
* If the photographer fails to comply with the above rules, the staff may stop the photo session, delete data, confiscate equipment or take any other necessary actions.
- Peeping photography or taking pictures without subject's permission
- Uploading the pictures to any website, printing them on magazines or books, or include in the movies without subject's permission.
- Excessive low-angle shots
- Infrared photography
- Excessive requests of posing, 2 shots or contacting, such as shaking hands
- The use of particular props, such as long props, fake weapons, rackets, balls, is limited to photo sessions. It is strictly prohibit to swing, kick or throw the props.
- Do not climb on trees, buildings, or anything else that is not allowed to be stepped onto.
- Similar rules apply to videography sessions
Examples of prohibited acts during video sessions:
- Peeping videography or filming without subjects' permission.
- Uploading the video to any website, printing them on magazines or books, or produce movies without subject's permission.
- Excessive low-angle shots.
- Infrared photography
- Moving shots, or entering stores or private properties.
- Filming in a way that many unnecessary people or objects are included in the shots.
Other Cautions and Instructions
- You are responsible for your valued items and belongings. The World Cosplay Summit Office or event venues are not responsible for any damage caused by accident, theft or missing items.
- The layout of the venue and event schedule are subject to change without prior notice.
- It is strictly prohibited to sell, or distribute any things or conducting interviews without the proper permit.
- The World Cosplay Summit Office and venues are not responsible for any conflict between attendees. You are responsible to handle the conflicts by yourself.
- In case of emergency, follow the orders of event staff and do not panic.
- Any other acts that the event staff recognize as violating rules is a violation of the rules regardless of the reasons. If you failed to follow the rules, the staff may ask you to leave the venue or call the authorities.
- By attending World Cosplay Summit, you have agreed to the rules above. World Cosplay Summit appreciates your cooperation and understanding.