World Cosplay Summit
Participation Regulations For Cosplayers
If there is any different between Japanese version and other translated version of this regulations, Japanese version is final.
The World Cosplay Summit constitutes the Cosplay Parade, the Cosplay Championship, and other related promotional activities.
One team of two cosplayers will represent each country and region.
In order to participate in a preliminary round event, cosplayers must have proof of citizenship or permanent residency of the country or region (Taiwan, Hong Kong) holding the event. In the case of a nation where over 50% of residents are foreigners the following rules also apply entries for the preliminary event:
1) have the right of permanent residence in the country or region concerned
2) are born in the country or region concerned
Contact your WCS national organizer if you have any questions regarding national representation qualifications.
Countries taking part in the WCS may implement restrictions on the participation of former WCS representatives, by prohibiting them from entering their national preliminary round from 1 to 2 years if deemed necessary. This may also apply to cosplayers who change partners. The rule is subject to change based on country and region.
You are required to bring a minimum of three costumes to Japan: one for the parade, one for the championship, and one for courtesy visits.
The costumes worn during the World Cosplay Summit must be from Japanese anime, manga, tokusatsu and video games.
* Dojinshi and unique characters from live actor movies based on anime or manga are not permitted. (i.e. Dragon ball Evolution etc.)
* When doing a costume from a game, the character must be recognizably Japanese.
(i.e. not a Disney or Star Wars character even though the game may be made in Japan.)
During the World Cosplay Summit events (WCS Championship, Parade and media appearances), cosplay costumes should be hand-made by the contestants themselves. Commercially available cosplay costumes are not allowed in the WCS Championship costumes but may be used in the Parade and media appearances (but not recommended).
* It is permissible to a limited extent for family and friends to help with costumes (but it is preferable that costumes are hand-made by the contestants themselves.)
You are required to bear the cost of any overweight luggage charges when shipping costumes and other items. It is not possible to send them to Japan by air or ship beforehand.
You must be able to come to Japan for 10 days during the World Cosplay Summit.
You should be aged 18 and over when you come to Japan.
* If you are under 18, you must have the consent of a guardian. Participation is allowed if you have the permission of a guardian and are able to come to Japan on your own.
* Age restrictions may vary from country to country.
You should cooperate in a positive manner in order to ensure the success of the World Cosplay Summit.
Media such as TV programs, Internet homepages, newspapers, magazines, etc., may use your pictures and images of the preliminary contests prior to the World Cosplay Summit. On these occasions, compensation will not be furnished.
Image rights in all media exposure such as news from TV programs and other assorted media involved with the World Cosplay Summit, promotional activities in the print media as well as events and performances, announcements of the Cosplay Summit both prior to the Summit and during your stay in Japan, will be attributed to World Cosplay Summit
After the World Cosplay Summit has finished, images/footage of cosplayers, photographs, programs broadcast, internet homepages and DVDs etc., come under the jurisdiction of World Cosplay Summit Executive Committee. Compensation will not be furnished for such images used by the media. (Your signature is required on the attached acceptance form for regarding this matter.)
Please send the documents and sound file at latest one month before the date of the Cosplay Championship.
* Material for submission:
- Performance sheets (if applicable, include any related dialogue)
- Images of the characters (wearing the same costumes to be worn in the championship)
- Costume construction report (Use the designated WCS Secretariat format)
- Information on the large props (size, images, placement location and weight of each item)
- Music sound file (MP3, etc.) Background movie (MOV, AVI, WMV files only)
- Participation appearance agreement
*Please send these as soon as possible after the preliminary round, particularly if the date of the preliminary round is close to the Championship.
*It is assumed that the WCS can use submitted data, such as costume construction reports and background images, freely except for commercial use.
World Cosplay Summit Secretariat